Thank you to Imagine® Foods for sponsoring this post!
My Dominican Republic adventures earlier this week have left me craving seafood, so it seems only appropriate to share this easy recipe for Mussels in Creamy Fennel Tomato Broth today. I know it sounds complicated, but I promise it’s ready in minutes!
I absolutely love mussels in super garlicky tomato broth – it’s one of my favorite things to order at restaurants. Little did I know how easy it was to recreate at home!
This would make a great dish to impress dinner guests – mussel-based meals always look so fancy, but in reality, they are fast and easy to make. Mussels are nutritious, too – a great source of protein, vitamin B12, and selenium. Thumbs up!
To make this recipe, you first need to clean the mussels; here’s a good visual/how-to for cleaning mussels. It’s easy.
Then, you simply sauté some garlic and sliced fennel in a pot with olive oil for a few minutes, then add tomato soup and bring it all to a boil. I used Imagine® organic creamy tomato soup to make the broth for this recipe; I love Imagine’s products and buy them often! Each soup provides a full serving of veggies per cup, and has no added MSG, artificial flavors, chemicals, or preservatives. Their soups are good on their own or in recipes, like this one!
Once the mixture is at a boil, you add the mussels and reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the mussels open up. That’s it! You’re done.
Enjoy as-is or atop some spaghetti. I also recommend dipping crusty bread into the broth.
Here’s the full recipe. Enjoy!
Mussels in Creamy Fennel Tomato Broth
by fANNEtastic food
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: boil stovetop entree soup/stew dairy free gluten-free6071193
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small fennel bulbs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups Imagine® Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 pounds (1 bag) mussels, cleaned
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh parsley, lemon wedges, and bread
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the fennel slices and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until the fennel is tender and lightly browned.
- Add the tomato soup and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until all the mussels are wide open. (After 10 minutes, all the mussels should be open. If any aren’t open, discard them, they’re no good.)
- Season broth to taste with salt and pepper, then serve garnished with fresh parsley, lemon, and bread, if desired.Powered by Recipage
Kroger shoppers – visit Kroger.com to download a $1 off coupon on Imagine® Creamy Soups to your Kroger Plus Card. Not a Kroger shopper? Visit imaginefoods.com to check out all 20 creamy and delicious flavors, as well as a $1 off coupon.
Mussels in Creamy Fennel Tomato Broth originally appeared on fANNEtastic food | Washington D.C. area Registered Dietitian | Recipes + Healthy Living + Fitness on March 6, 2015.